Solar Array | Willis A. Smith Construction, Inc.
The new solar photovoltaic array at the Willis A. Smith headquarters building consists of sixty American-made, Evergreen Solar Inc. silicon solar panels. The total power of the solar array is 12.3 kilowatts, and will produce an estimated 20,000 kilowatt hours of electricity per year. The array will eliminate approximately 44,000 pounds of CO2 per year.
The solar panels attach to the new Willis A. Smith headquarters roof using S-5 Systems Inc.’s standing seam panel clamps. These clamps eliminate the need to penetrate the roof system to attach the solar array, and ensure a totally secure, weatherproof, easy to maintain, long-life installation. The S-5 clamp system is available for a wide variety of metal roof systems, including all Butler Building roofs.
About Willis A. Smith Construction, Inc.
Willis A. Smith Construction, Inc. has been serving Southwest Florida since 1972 and is the leader in sustainable construction. The company boasts 12 LEED® AP’s on staff, and is committed to constructing high performance structures. Their new headquarters in Lakewood Ranch is a masterpiece of eco-friendly design and construction, and has been awarded LEED® Gold Certification.
The following are green elements of the building:
- High R-factor Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) used for masonry construction
Light-colored roof to reduce Heat Island Effect
- Rainwater harvesting for non-potable water applications such as toilets and urinals
- Insulated windows and sun shades which contribute towards energy savings
- Florida-friendly landscaping which includes native and drought-tolerant plants
- Low VOC emitting products
- Natural day lighting in 73.5% of the work areas
- Rooftop solar photovoltaic array for zero emission, on-site power production
Continue Reading: Commercial Solar Power